You make me feel like a natural woman

Since starting my blog, I realised I haven’t done any beauty posts! I know shock horror right lol ? I do like make up, I own a fair bit but I’m an occasional wearer. However, one thing I love is a good bit of skincare, and I use that daily. I have quite sensitive skin on my face so I have to be careful what I put on it. To be honest, the more natural the product, the better it is for me.

Temporary bedroom eviction

When I was young growing up in the 80s/90s, family would often visit from abroad. When I say abroad I mean Salone (Sierra Leone). The reason I remember this is because, I would have to give up my room lol! My mum would be super excited as my aunts would come bearing gifts. To me, these were things that did not excite me in the slightest way at the time. Carefully wrapped Palm oil, various leaves for cooking plasass (leaf based sauce/stew), black soap and ori (shea butter). So you maybe asking yourself, where is this woman going with all of this? What does this have to do with skincare? I shall tell you now.

L-Shea Butter (Ori) R- Black Soap

Turning point

I would say in the last 5 years or so, we have seen many shea based products come onto the market. Everybody seems to have jumped on the shea butter/natural product hype bandwagon, it would just be rude if I didn’t jump on too!! When I was younger, I didn’t appreciate ori and black soap for what they were. They are great natural products for hair and skin, and pure enough to use on a baby’s skin. In the past couple of months, I have tried to move towards more natural products for my hair and body. So many hair and beauty products contain chemicals that can cause our body harm with prolonged use. I’m not going to go full earth mother, but I’m going to make small changes as and where I can.

Madam Ori-Natural Skincare

Last weekend, This Leo Loves, the little one and I went to the Zere Fashion House pop-up shop at Cre8 Studio in Hackney. There were so many designers at the event, it really was a feast for the eyes. Also showcasing her natural skincare products was none other than Madam Ori aka Lexie Madamori. I first met her 2 years ago at another event, so it was great to see how much her product range had grown.

Rose water face and body mist, Massage and body oil, whipped shea butter and coconut melt

I purchased some black soap body wash and whipped shea butter. Madam Ori products are infused with various essential oils, and packaged beautifully giving them a luxurious feel. I wish these pictures had smell-o-vision. The sumptuous whipped shea butter has the most exquisite fragrance. A little goes a long way, and it leaves my skin feeling silky soft and smelling fabulous for hours. The great thing about Shea butter is the fact it can be used in your hair as well! I will use it on my next twist out and put the pictures on instagram. When I use black soap, my skin is literally squeaky clean. The products compliment each other perfectly and don’t break the bank either. The 2 products cost under £20 on the day. Considering they are natural and handmade, I think that is great value for money. If you want to have a self care day, I would definitely recommend these products.

Speaking of not breaking the bank…check out my last post

Trousseau xx

12 Comments

1. July 20, 2018 / 10:39 pm

Wow I had no idea that shea butter could be used in your hair! These look like amazing products, I love the packaging and they sound like super great value too!
    Soph – https://sophhearts.com x

• trousseau
      Author
      July 20, 2018 / 9:43 pm

The stuff is amazing! Really good for conditioning dry hair and flaky scalp. The packaging is really nice isn’t it? X

2. July 21, 2018 / 2:20 pm

I love the smell of shea butter and whipped shea butter sounds amazing! I never knew it could be used on hair, I imagine it leaves it feeling soft and smooth. These sound like great products, natural and not too expensive either. Thank you for sharing your goodies! ? xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

• trousseau
      Author
      July 21, 2018 / 3:14 pm

Thanks for stopping by! They really are great value for money and honestly the fragrances are amazing! Happy to share new discoveries lol xx

3. July 21, 2018 / 3:49 pm

Absolutely loved this post! It’s great to know things African and Caribbean families have been using for years are now becoming popular on the western side of the globe! Furthermore with shea butter being a natural product, it’s right on trend. Love your pics, absolutely stunning xx

• trousseau
      Author
      July 21, 2018 / 8:25 pm

So Happy you enjoyed it! You are right, it’s so nice to see things crossing cultures. It’s amazing how shea butter in particular has become super popular, it’s in so many things! Xx

4. July 21, 2018 / 7:32 pm

Hi,

I liked your style of writting and the way images you have used are awesome. Regarding the L-shea butter, I haven’t used it yet. But I know this is really a great product and must try.

5. July 22, 2018 / 11:23 am

I’ve had similar experiences with skincare! Now that I appreciate it more, I get mad at young me for not appreciating the gifts family used to bring from abroad!
    Jas xx

• trousseau
      Author
      July 22, 2018 / 11:28 am

It’s always the way isn’t it? Lol now I’m like hmmm let me give that a little try ? xx

6. July 22, 2018 / 3:21 pm

I love the sound of the whipped shea butter, I didn’t know you could put it in your hair though! It’s great that you got to see someone you saw a couple of years ago and could see how much they’d grown. It’s so lovely when that happens x

Sophie

• trousseau
      Author
      July 25, 2018 / 12:02 am

You have got to love a multipurpose product lol xx